Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Error: Subreport could not be shown

Problem
I have a report that has a table with a subreport for each record. When I try to run the report it spins for awhile and then says, "Error: Subreport could not be shown."

Solution
1. Open the parent report's .rdl so that you can see the report XML, not the design surface
2. Search for <Subreport
3. In <ReportName> put .rdl at the end of the subreport's name
4. Upload the parent report to SSRS


Troubleshooting notes
What threw me off here was the fact that it was working inconsistently. I would use the Browse... button in the designer and point to this report. It would pull back the report name without .rdl at the end. This somehow worked. Manually typing in the name in the designer and adding .rdl to the name did not work. I had to open the report in a text editor and edited the name in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget