Monday, July 14, 2014

How to see who has files open in shared

Problem
I went to remove sharing from a shared folder because I'm migrating the data to another server. Windows said something like "there are N users with opened files. By removing this share you will boot them"

Solution
This is on Windows Server 2003, probably different in newer versions...

1. Computer Management
2. Shared Folders
3. Open Files

From there you can see who has what open. In my case it was me with 7 sessions opened. So I right-clicked all of my sessions and closed the file connection. Then was able to remove Sharing from that folder without complaints.

Reference
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/581219/find-out-who-is-locking-a-file-on-a-network-share

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget