Monday, March 18, 2013

Rapid Development metholodogy - unclassified

I have a deadline for code in a few weeks and haven't received the requirements spec. In order to get somewhat close to the deadline I've streamlined the dev process into this:  Designing, coding, and unit testing one piece of functionality at a time.
 
Have two documents: Design doc and Unit testing doc

Design doc is a tree based structure:
  1. Field Name
    1. Create
      1. Description of what should or shouldn't happen
    2. Read
      1. Dependent Field Name
        1. Create
          1. Description of what should or shouldn't happen
        2. Read
        3. Update
        4. Delete
    3. Update
    4. Delete

The "Dependent Field Name" is a field that's only purpose is to do something to the parent field. For example, I could have a field "Purchase Order Number", and then a Dependent Field would "Purchase Order Number Lookup" - that's sole purpose is to return a PO Number to the parent field.

Unit Test doc is
  1. Window
    1. Field Name
      1. Table with columns #, Bug, Fix. (self-explanatory)
I design a piece of functionality in the Design doc for a field. Code the functionality, and then unit test and write down any bugs in the Unit Test doc. In the Design doc once a piece of functionality is unit tested successfully I strike it out.

This has proven to be efficient and I have working code quickly. Not to mention the documentation is happening on the fly, instead of before or after the coding phase, which is very nice.

I don't know what the name of this development methodology is, but I like it, and I'd like to figure out what it would be classified as.

A quick Google search turns up:
1. Test-driven development and
2. Extreme programming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_programming

I'll have to do more research on this later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget