Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How to run Windows 98 on Windows Virtual PC

Why and overview of how
So I decided I wanted to play an old game ('96) called Heroes of Might and Magic 2. I tried like hell to get it to work on my Windows 7 64-bit computer but it just wouldn't. Then I discovered Windows Virtual PC. This is the Windows 7 version of Virtual PC 2007 (etc...). So I got Win98 up and running, but it didn't have the "integration components", which makes the virtual utterly annoying to use. So then I discovered you can simply get "Additions" (Virtual PC version of integration components), because Win98 was supported in the previous versions of Virtual PC! So here's a neat little list on how to do this:

How in details
1. Install Windows Virtual PC http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
2. Have a Win98 iso or installation disk ready (you can easily find a torrent for the iso)
3. Install win98 on virtual machine:
http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/WinVPC-InstallingWin98.pdf
4. To get "Additions" from an older version of VPC follow these steps:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2010/05/27/installing-windows-98-on-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

Finally
So I got Win98 fully working. It's pretty sweet seeing it again. I haven't used it in something like 8 years or so. The game (HoMM2) works, except I can't resize it and it's stuck at something like 400x400 or so. I haven't been able to find a solution to this, but I don't care at this point, because at least I get to the play the game :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget